10.07.2012

East coast living

Last Sunday I returned from a week-long vacation (?) in Washington DC.  I went out to take a class for a little side job I'm hoping to start soon (fingers crossed).  I'm hoping with all my little unicorn girl heart that it works out (and I make my $$ back).

I flew into New York and took megabus to DC both ways.  It saved me about $150 and gave me the opportunity to see the Brooklyn Bridge (I didn't have time last year), eat at Grimaldi's, Shake Shack, and get the best ginormous cookies from Levain's Bakery.  It was worth every minute of dragging my luggage around New York (even on the subway).
The class was all day Monday through Friday (half day), and I had a 45 minute commute both ways.  My morning would start out with me getting up at 4 am Utah time and getting ready, packing food, strapping on my heavy backpack/laptop bag and walking 15 minutes to the Pentagon City metro station.  My entertainment was all the weirdy squirrels along the way.  They are hilarious to watch.  From Pentagon City I would take the metro to King Street station and walk another 5-7 minutes.  It was kind of cool to be getting on the subway with all the other business people and reading the paper (pretending).  My class was in Old Town, a really nice area.  The picture of the business park looks fake, but it was taken with my iPhone from the balcony of the 2nd floor of my class.


The best part of my trip was that I got to stay with my good friend Brooke.  It was so great to see her.  On Thursday our friend Denise came into town with her friend Lauren from England.  From then on it was a party.  Except for the 2 hours I was tortured by writing a paper for my class.  The agony! 
Teddy Roosevelt Island

Before I left I made Brooke and I matching crowns.  It was part of a sort of "project" we did.  I'd indulge, but I think it's better left to wonder.  Friday night we went out to dinner in Georgetown.  We went to a place famous for their mussels.  I got a delicious swordfish sandwich.
After dinner we stopped for ice cream at McDonald's.  I wiped some ice cream up Denise's nose.  Denise wiped some on my face, and when we walked out the door I got Brooke's dipped cone pushed into my neck.  The whole top of her ice cream came off under my chin.  It was hilarious.  Brooke topped us all with that one.
Saturday we went to breakfast, walked around Georgetown campus, ate ice cream for lunch, Afghan food for dinner, and Baked and Wire cupcakes for dessert.  Then we put on the feather masks I brought (that I bought at the dollar store), and Denise let me give her a make-over with 80's make-up.  She is such a good sport.
It was such a good week, and such a good change of pace for awhile.  The time difference left me exhausted most nights, but well worth the trip.  I met some great people, and even had the opportunity of talking to someone about the church.  I hope this is the beginning of new things.

No comments: