10.26.2013

half-marathon

Last month I ran my very first (and maybe last) half marathon.  A whopping 13 miles. My friend Veda had signed up to do the marathon for her birthday, and I decided to sign up with her since I had always had a goal of running a half. Veda's friend Julinna also ran the marathon.  I trained as best I could beforehand, and I was grateful for all the advice, support, blessing, and help I received.  My roommates spent their Saturday mornings taking turns picking me up at the bottom of the canyon, and driving me up 10 miles to where my car was, which I am super grateful for.
I wasn't too nervous for the race.  I just wanted it to be over with.  The night before we picked up our packets and ate a carb filled dinner discounted for the race at Whole Foods.  The next morning we left at 3:30 am to make it on time to catch the shuttle up the canyon.  It wasn't till I boarded my shuttle that it set in that from then on I was on my own.  Once we reached the top we waited for over an hour for the starting gun.  It gave us time to eat, go to the bathroom, and FREEZE.  It was a good thing they gave us foil blankets (which actually work).

We actually started on time (I think around 6:40 am), and the first 6 miles I ran with my jacket on.  The first 9 miles were all downhill.  Glorious downhill.  Once we passed 9 miles it was pretty flat from there.  Those last 4 miles were hard, and the last mile was the hardest.  But I ran the whole way.  You can probably tell in the photos below that I was on the verge of a break down.  A girl in my stake was there to support her brother and had made a poster for me.  I think she was scared when she saw my face though.  April, Blake, and Brooklyn were there to cheer me on as well.
Overall I count this experience as one of the hardest things I've ever forced myself to do.  I wouldn't say the experience was great, but the sense of accomplishment is worth it.  How's that for some negativity?  Would I do it again.  Not now, but maybe some time in the long distant future when I weigh 100 lbs and can run like a gazelle.

No comments: